Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pointers Pointers Pointers

I had the opportunity to attend my first "real" dog show this past week. Granted every day with our dogs is a show of some sort.  But this show was a big one.  A National dog show featuring all English Pointers.

So here are some thoughts on it.  Wow, awesome, huge, beautiful, interesting, amusing, eye opening and did I mention huge??  Those bench pointers are huge, in comparison to the sweet field pointers we work with in rescue.  I loved it!  There is another whole dog world out there and it was a privilege to be part of it for a while.  

Now I don't show my dogs, but they show me a whole big world too.  I don't field trial my dogs, but in our fields they are winners in my eyes.  Obedience is always a hit and miss event at our house.  They keep trying to train me and I keep trying to train them.  If you ask them they are winning.  I beg to differ.

I will say the world should give out more ribbons. So many achievements are ribbon worthy.   People should definitely pet the dogs they encounter in life every chance they get. Judges probably don't know the whole story of the dogs they view and people in general should be less judgmental.   

It was great to go, an honor to meet people I've known for years in the dog world and a blessing to get there and back safely.  Makes me appreciate my doggy dog world even more.



No comments: