Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Ticks and Other Creepy Crawlies

I surmised, when we moved to the country, that I would need to learn to live in harmony with the critters that came with the territory.  Boy was I right.  Some, like the people we meet in life, are easy to live with.  The hawks and bald eagles we have seen have been awesome.  The deer and pheasant, always a welcome sight. The wood ducks on the river, definitely reason to pause and admire.  

But, and there is always a but...the ticks make my skin crawl and the mice, in spite of a slight cuteness, creep me out as well.  However, the dogs have no aversion to either of these country critters.  Thankfully, I think, they have only brought ticks inside.  Although that is creepy enough.  

I think perhaps Addy was a cat in another life time as she is an amazing mouser. Hoping I've not insulted her talent by comparing her to a cat. Remind me to add that to her adoption profile. Twice today I've had to take mice away from the dogs.  May I just say ewwwwww.  Every time I have to do that I swear a City Girl Alert is sounded.  It's gross and disgusting...but I manage to complete the task at hand. 

It's part and parcel of rural life.  So I do it, then wash my hands and wonder how long my scalp will itch.  Again the dogs set a better standard for acceptance.  For them, it's just another day in paradise.  For me?  It's a bit of the ickies, but this too shall pass.

No comments: