Sunday, January 18, 2015

Old Dogs

I took my very first pointer, Mick, and our current foster Buddy out for a walk today.  You see, I made this promise to Mick that we'd spend more time together. So we cuddle every chance we get and go for more walks.  It's a win-win for both of us.  

Now, in human years Mick is roughly 83 and Buddy is 56.  I was thinking of them both as old geezers, but that makes me one too.  If that is the case I was in good company.  In the field, they lose the geezer years and are simply in their bliss.  


They may have roughly 139 human years, or 23 dog years between them. but they can still out walk and out run me. They are a thing of beauty in the field, on the sofa, or simply laying in the sun.

Mick and I walked yesterday too. Of course the wind was blowing 30 mph, so I thought we'd never get home.  Well, I thought I'd never get home, Mick did just fine. Maybe being lower to the ground he had less wind resistance.  I must have been the high profile vehicle on the road and he just raced in under the radar.  

Now, Buddy digs our walks too, but on the return trip he is always the first one to reach the porch.  The others lollygag in the field as long as possible, not so for Budwheezer.


You do have to love a dog who's waiting for you on the porch.  Just like you love the ones getting in every last sniff in the field. And the old ones?  They are the best of all.  Don't get me wrong, I still go oooooh and ahhhh over a puppy.  But day in and day out I give my heart to the seniors.  The old geezers, the seniors, the gnarly, the lame, the game old dogs that they are.  They don't know they are old, they just are...and I'll take every moment I can of that.  In the moment, with the old dogs.  Win, win.  








No comments: