Sunday, October 28, 2012

Bliss and Boundaries

I took Mick for a walk today.  Sometimes rank has it's privileges.  I figure maybe I could keep up with the senior dog.  So my dreams aren't exactly reality.  

It is a new concept for a city girl to go for a walk and not have a block to walk around.  I used to pick my walks by which gardens I like to walk by.  Today I wasn't sure we had a destination at all.  We aimed for the mail box at the end of the lane, and then for the bridge down the road and then we walked the perimeter of a 3 acre corn field.  

It is an odd feeling to just let your dog run loose.  Even though Mick had a field collar on and responds to tone, it was still an act of faith for me.  All 11+ years I've owned Mick my goal has been to keep him safe, and safely contained.  Heck, I'm not even sure I'm safe out wandering the countryside, much less him.  This is sort of pathetic for someone who owns hunting dogs. 

My kids would say I'm a perpetual worrier.  Sometimes I can't argue it.  The whole gamut of 'what if's' went through my head.  What if he takes off and doesn't come back.  What if he falls into the river, cause I'm pretty sure I'm not venturing in after him.  What if I fall and can't get up?  What if a car comes down the road.  I didn't need to worry about that one.  

So we went and we came back safely.  Even sat on our little bench.  It was a  window well frame at my Mom's house years ago. We laughed at the insanity of dragging it along on our move.  But, it's strategically placed by a nice view of the river.  It's the beginning of a little garden area to pause by on the way up the lane.



So, Mick's tired from his adventure, and I'm happy.  We tested some boundaries and found some bliss.   


No comments: