Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Like Mother Like Son

I have to admit I have great kids.  Sure I'm biased.  Having them is my singular greatest accomplishment.  Surviving their youth is my second greatest accomplishment.  They will remember the part of life that did not include dogs.  And the part where I crossed over to the Crazy Dog Lady side. That was 15 foster dogs and 4 resident dogs ago.

It's kinda no surprise my kids love dogs too.  I'm tickled pink that my son just got in his first foster dog.  Since my daughter is his roommate she's in the fostering business as well.  No arms were twisted in this adventure.  But his heart was when he saw a scrawny pointer in need.

  

I hope he falls as deeply in love with his foster dogs as I do mine.  I hope he knows the joy of finding them forever homes.  I have no doubt he'll experience the surprise puddles and piles that come with fostering.  The occasional medical emergencies and the bittersweet pain of letting them go.  

In return he will feel the simple pleasures of seeing a dog learn about the good life. The cozy cuddling in a safe lap.  The food bowl that meets his daily needs and fills out the dogs bony frame.  The gentle hands and warm caresses.  My son will get way more than he will ever give this dog named Bo.  

To say I'm proud would be an understatement.  To say this foster dog is lucky beyond belief is not.   


No comments: