Tuesday, July 9, 2013

You're not from around here are you??

If you were asking the dogs this question I'd would always have said nope, a couple from Iowa, a couple from Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee. Pretty much none of our dogs and foster dogs have been from around "here".

This is the first period of my life where that comment fits me. I've been told it's difficult to make friends in small towns. Heck sometimes it's hard to make friends in medium size towns and in big towns. Over the weekend we had someone ask us if we are part of the Witness Protection Program. In his mind, either serious or joking, how else would someone from Reno and someone from Omaha end up in Little Town, America. Naturally we laughed. We neither denied or confirmed the allegation. Even if we were, we couldn't admit it, and frankly not admitting it seems like way more fun.

I don't know for sure if I'll ever be from around here. It feels like home and home it will be. If they want to look at us with a question in their eyes so be it. Frankly, like the fosters, a new addition to a community is a good thing. Perhaps we can expand their horizons and they can help us establish roots in the community. Until let them wonder. I sometimes wonder myself.




No comments: