Friday, May 6, 2011

Girl Time

Girl time is special. Girlfriend time is sacred. Maybe I treasure it more because all my siblings are boys, so I never got the sister I always wanted. Thankfully I have a daughter so I have that blessing in my life.

Sophie is our first female foster and our first Nebraska foster dog. Yup, we've had fosters from IA, OK, KS, and MO, about time we had one from Nebraska. I think if we eventually have one from SD and CO we can say we've fostered all our surrounding states, plus Oklahoma!

Sophie is a few days away from moving to MN. I wonder if I should be shopping for a coat and muklucks for her? We have been enjoying some quality girl time together recently. In fact, at night I've been banishing Hank and Mick to the sofa. Egads, the horrible treatment they receive! Somebody call the ASPCA.

Sophie and I have been sharing the bed at night. Sounds racey, but it's really quite sweet. It used to be, if she was brave enough to lay down on the bed, that she'd bolt if anyone so much as twitched. Now she settles in, completely relaxed and snoozes the night away. Sweet!

I think our work here is done. Although still a bit timid she is about 1000% more normal than when she came into our care. She is as normal as normal can be and we all know normal is relative.

Now my only worry is how long it will take her to get back to normal after her move. The good thing is she already knows her new owner. Thankfully she'll have that comfort to build on. And hopefully, the foundation we built with her will ease her way in the days ahead. In the mean time - I'm diggin the girl time.

2 comments:

nerfkid said...

Yea!!! I am sure you will miss her a ton. Pete and Lucy wish her the best of luck!

Jenny Linsky said...

It's a wonderful thing you have done...