Wednesday, March 26, 2014

It Takes All Kinds

Will all the dogs we've fostered over the years this is our first one with kennel cough. It's not a laughing matter, but we have found some humor in it. The coughing and hacking was intense when Buddy arrived. I'd bring him to work with me just to keep an eye on him. Several of my coworkers thought he was a goner. Pretty sure they were appalled. I felt the need to explain to my customers that no one was expiring in the design room.  Although I did keep thinking I'd be stepping on lung that was coughed up in the process. Giving him Robitussin was a challenge, until I got the soft gel tablets.  Even then he has a knack for opening the tablet and discarding it. Somehow he gets the medicine, so I don't care how he does it. His cough is better now, just some episodes of wheezing these days. 

Because of the coughing, hacking and wheezing, we've affectionately begun calling him Buddwheezer.  It fits this old dude. Could be worse.  We could call him Buddgeezer.  He's older, but not really a geezer.  Lucky for him.

No matter their issues, idiosyncrasies, personality, their sense of character, and Lord knows we've had some characters, we fall in love with them. Perhaps it's the investment of care, the nurturing we do, the affection we exchange with them. Perhaps it's because they are so lovable and have been unloved. Maybe it's because no two fosters are alike.  Each is a gift of the unknown.  It takes all kinds and they are all kinds of amazing.  


So Buddwheezer would like you to know he's feeling much, much better.  It's a relief for us to know he's more comfortable.  And a blessing to not look for lungs on the floor when walking near him.  It takes all kinds and Buddy takes the cake.  

No comments: