Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pulling Up Roots - Planting Roots

I completely believe everyone should move away from home, to another city, at least once in their life. Preferably when they are young and flexible. Not, me. I did it the hard way. I wanted until I was ancient (in dog years!)

It hasn't been an easy adjustment, for me or the dogs. Although, I think they are more somewhat more adaptable. Their main beef is that fact that we left the large sofa behind. What?? You left it?? That's where we sleep in the morning, it's where we sleep in the afternoon, and where we sleep sometimes at night? We think it's nap abuse to not have it with us. Only problem? It won't fit in the rental house. Sorry dogs...

Then there is the fencing issue. We have to do some to secure the yard. Oh ya, and we have a much smaller yard. It does have trees though, good for squirrel watching. I will appreciate a fenced yard so much after this period of tethering the dogs. Two dogs + three trees = one big tangle of ropes and dogs.

The plus side is we're walking the dogs twice a day. Hank has developed strong feelings for a church down the street. He takes a crap daily on their property. I should tack some waste bags on the tree down there for easy clean up.

Surprisingly it's just as hard to pull up roots, as it is to plant them. Each new thing I do there to establish our new life makes me cry. For the record I am an easy weeper. If there were stats on tears I'd be setting world records. I understand the why, and can anticipate the when...so now I just have Kleenex handy.

In spite of the challenges, it is a joy to be together again. Just as it will be a joy when we have two bathrooms again! We've lost some things, and we've gained others. It is just part of the process of moving in and moving on.

No comments: