Friday, June 8, 2012

Looking Back


It's been a rough week. In terms of special, I mean really special dogs - Hank was/is up there at the top. Not that we loved him more than the others. He just was especially special. I can talk about him without crying now. I can look at old pictures of him and just laugh.

I miss him bouncing at the front door when we come home. And the urge to grab all three bowls at feeding time is still strong. He left a big 'ol Hanky-sized paw print on my heart.

I wonder if the other dogs miss him. I can't tell that they are grieving, but then, we do have Layla. She should have been named Ms. Mach II. She has all the personality of Mr. Hanky wrapped up in a young pup's body. No off switch, if you catch my drift. And yet, she did pause in her shenanigans to just be still with us. I have to believe it was to soak up the pain and soften the loss.

So we miss our silly Hanky-boy. We give thanks for his time with us, and we look back and laugh. All part of the healing process.

1 comment:

Beth Kniffen said...

Tears for you. Amazing what a part they become of our lives.