Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Prix Fixe

This blog is not about dogs. But, it is about something else totally near and dear to my heart. It's about food, friendship and most importantly my daughter.

She is many things that I envy. She is strong, confident, passionate and oh, so talented. She is studying to be a chef. Heck, she's a damn good chef already. I used to call my Mom for cooking help, now I call my daughter. The roles have changed.

Part of her program includes a Prix Fixe dinner. It is a multi-course menu that she and another student plan, prep and present. The "fixe" part means a set price for the four courses. Now I have to say I hope I'm half the cook she is. Because their dinner was amazing.

Of course, we have both evolved over the years. There was a time she would have preferred to run me over with a Mack truck. Truthfully (at the time) it would have been a blessing if she had. Life molds us, softens us, strengthens us and dishes us up like a Prix Fixe dinner.

We are multiple courses, complex layers, subtle nuances, refreshing, nourishing and engaging. We are also salty, sweet, savory, peppery and smooth. I believe she is one of my favorite dishes, and I love her dearly.

No comments: