Monday, January 16, 2012

Finishing School


This week Snowflake is in Omaha for Finishing School. Well, it's also known as Boot Camp for Incorrigible Puppies. But we told her it's finishing school. We are hopeful she'll finish up being wild and unruly.

I know she's just a puppy. I will be the first to admit not having oodles of puppy behavior shaping experience. Hence, I question my sanity when I said "oooooh, let's foster of puppy!"

Here is the good thing. Great Plains Pointer Rescue has a trainer who is kind enough to work with Flake this week. Foster support is crucial. I wish I knew more about training puppies. It's been disappointing to not be better at it. But, there is no shame in asking for help. I plan on taking advantage of some personal training as well. In fact, I offered to go to Omaha for a week of training and leave Flake at home with Reno, Hank and Mick. Funny how I was the only one embracing that idea.

Puppies are hard work. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how quiet it is without her racing through the house stirring up....well...everything. But, I also miss that cute little attention seeking face. Like all our fosters, she's wormed her way into our hearts. We will be happy to see her at the end of the week. We're happy she's getting some expert training that will make her more adoptable. It's all good in a boot camp sort of way.

No comments: