Sunday, January 1, 2012

Beginning and Ends


The end of one year and the beginning of another is foremost in our minds today. I used to never be a fan of New Years, because I never knew what the New Year would bring. Funny, and sad how I expected myself to know those things. We never know from one moment to the next!

Life is all about ends and beginnings, beginnings and ends. And the multitude of moments in between.

With a new foster dog every moment is a revelation, an investigation, and teachable moment and an adventure. I need a holster for my squirt bottle! I need eyes in the back of my head, and a bottle of Nature's Miracle.

That's not to say we are not making progress! Oh we are! Crating is so much easier. Potty training is going well, as long as we are diligent about ins and outs. I don't think she's potty trained, but we definitely are. Leash training has commenced. Laughing at the audacity of that sentence. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's not quite the lunge-fest it was the first time out.

Hank is going to earn his wings with this little one. She sits on him, crawls over him, leans into him, tramples him every chance she gets. Mick is not so friendly. But, in his defense old age is plaguing him with arthritis pains so her shenanigans add insult to injury.

Her pace is non-stop, and I'd just like a moment in one place. I have a new appreciation for my old dogs and a sense of humor about young dogs. It's part of the process of fostering. Ends, beginnings, middles, beginning of ends, ends of beginnings. Much like the New Year.

No comments: