Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Right Time


Every pet owner I know agonizes over when the right time is to let a beloved animal cross the bridge. It is a painful decision. Usually made over a period of time. It involves vet visits, hope, despair, and resignation. Resignation is not a bad thing. Letting go is a true gift of love.

My sweet boy Mick is having health issues. We are doing the vet visits, hoping for answers, and praying for him to get better. And in the meantime, I sit with him in the recliner every night, lay with him on the floor, and hand feed him when necessary.

If he was feeling better, he would think he is in heaven. He had a cheeseburger for lunch, and scrambled eggs and bacon for dinner. I hand fed him the eggs. Yesterday he had some dill havarti cheese. He's probably wondering why I've been holding out the good stuff for so long. Kibble, all these years you've fed me kibble? Oh ya, that dollop of yogurt was supposed to be the icing on the cake? Seriously!


I don't know who is deriving the most comfort from our cuddle time. I do know it's part of the journey. And in time, we'll know how it all ends. In the meantime, please keep us in your thoughts.

No comments: