Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Old Dogs/Sick Dogs

I could scream with frustration. But it's not about me. It's about Mick and he doesn't feel good. Adding an antibiotic to his diet made a swift turn around for about 4 days, and now we are backsliding some. He is better than yesterday, but still not great. He has become Mr. Finicky Eater. Short of doing back flips, I can't find a consistent combination of food to entice him.

We try all manner of things. As an owner it's what I do. I've cooked more for him this week than I have for us. Bacon and eggs are usually a hit. But not this morning, and not tonight. Liverwurst and cottage cheese was spot on at lunch time, but now holds no appeal. Hamburger and rice was an epic fail. Hank, bless his heart, volunteers to eat every dish Mick turns his nose up at.

I wonder if jello is the answer like when I was little and under the weather. I wonder if a Popsicle would help, but I rather doubt it. As a pet owner, I can't remember ever feeling so helpless.

So I cook, I pray and I feel for my dear boy. I hope he turns around soon and licks the bowl clean.

No comments: