Thursday, March 22, 2012

Treats and Things


Layla runs like a goof ball in the yard. Toys in mouth, dangling, bouncing, juggling them as she goes. Circle, laps, figure eights, zig zags. She is a happy little nut job in pointer clothing.

We've been working on retrieving. Okay, I've been working on retrieving. She's been working on happy-go-lucky running. She excels at that. I've been trying to find the right treat to reward her with when she retrieves. We've tried Cheez-its, hot dog bits, dog treats of various flavors. She is getting the retrieving. She is not getting the treating! She will take the treat and go deposit it in the yard and then is ready to chase the toy again. Boom, she's back for another treat which she drops a few steps away. When I quit throwing the toy she follows her nose until she finds all the treats. Silly to watch, but she gets twice the work out.

I'm pretty certain the pointer boyz think she is certifiable. Maybe I'm missing the point. The thrill is in the game, not the dessert that follows. Hmmmmmm,I've always been in it for the treat. Maybe I'm missing a key element. Or, maybe I need to treat myself each time she retrieves. Now we're talking.

No comments: