Sunday, December 30, 2012

Throw Another Log On The Fire

It's that time again.  Time to put the holiday decorations away, to look back on the year, to look forward, and yes, time to throw another log on the fire.

In dog days it's been a terrific year.  Snowflake, Layla, Jess, Bailey and now, Buck...all found forever homes.  That's probably the most fosters we've had in one year.  About last year this time Mick got sick and we thought we were going to lose him.  He's still kicking it for which I give thanks every day.  Twelve years ago he got me started with pointers and what a case of the zoomies it's been every since.  We did lose Mr. Hanky this year.  But his loss is tempered by the joy of loving him for three years.  Everyone should have Mr. Hanky at least once in their life.

Pointer Rescue Organization led me to Mick and from there it just got better and better.  Now we're active with Great Plains Pointer Rescue and yup, it just get's better and better.  I could probably chalk up all the dogs that have come into my life from these groups as a result of getting divorced many years ago.  Not directly, but none-the-less that life change set a new course in my life.

In a way I was pushed into a new life.  Suffice it to say I've blossomed.  And laughed, and loved, and opened my heart to so many new things.  So many new dogs.  Since it was not humanly possible to own them all at once, fostering is the next best thing.

So as this year winds down, and a new one is on the horizon I give thanks. For the doggies. For the challenges, for the time to say yes, the time to say no.  The time to throw another log on the fire and just enjoy where life has taken me.  If you think I've gone to the dogs, you would be totally correct.  I wouldn't have it any other way.


No comments: