Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cross Country and Birds of A Feather

As the crow flies - I love that saying. Plus I have new respect for it. Yesterday, as the crow flies (or not), we drove from Boise to Omaha. If only one could drive as the crow flies. But, one can't, so it was a cross country marathon to make it home. There were a few stops. Several stops for fuel, one for a craft store, one for food, several potty breaks. Including one emergency stop just down the road from a scheduled stop. What can I say, it happens. Luckily we had three drivers. We needed them.

May I add it felt like it took 10 hours just to cross the state of NE. Ten long, unending, monotonous, construction laden hours. Maybe dropping from 80mph, to 65mph factored in. I thought we would never get home. And, yes, we are certifiable for making this drive. And, no, I probably wouldn't do it again all in one day. However, two of us need to get in to work today - so there you have it. As I write this, Reno is out like a light. To tired to drink his beer (that's really tired). Too tired to just go to bed. Too tired to pick his head up off the kitchen table....lol.

Speaking of crows and how they fly - there is one less crow today thanks to Hank. Now, I don't know how he caught it. I really need a yard-cam installed. But when I called him in, he ran in his own mach-1 style right into the house with the dead crow in his mouth. He landed on the couch, settled in and was going to "enjoy" his catch. I wasn't as excited as he was. I was trying to figure out how to remove it from the house.

I slipped my hand into the plastic sleeve from the newspaper, all gloved up and ready to go. Hank came when I called with his treasure. He did give it to me. It was not a soft mouth and gentle release, there was a little pulling involved. But, it was a release and the Happy Dance was done!

So there you have it. We flew, it flew. We landed (safely), it landed (not so safely). As crows fly it was an incredible journey. In Hank's book it is an incredible journey. It was a red letter catch and release kind of day.

And, Lordy.....am I happy to be home.