Friday, June 12, 2009

Role Reversals

Taking some boxes out to the dumpster I saw a mulberry tree across the alley with ripe berries. Instantly, I was a child again. I simply had to taste one, okay I tasted three of them. Maybe it's because in NE there are not that many fruit bearing tree's growing everywhere. I think, however, I just needed a child like moment. They taste just like I remember, and stain your fingers way more than I knew. But for children messy hands aren't a big deal.

Funny how in life we alternate being an adult, being a child, being the adult, wishing we didn't have to be, longing for the simplicity of being a child again! When we hit the moments we are the "adults" for our parents it is even more poignant.

Holding my Mom's hand at the hospital yesterday, I told her I'd need to be leaving for work soon. In what I thought was less than clear moment, she said why did I always have to be rushing off, couldn't I just stay and play. I'm not sure who was the adult and who was the child in that comment. But I know it brings tears to my eyes. I know adult or child she hit it spot on. How I wish I had all the time in the world to stay and play.

I would like to be a child again and have my Mommy in charge. I'd like to play, sleep and not worry. I'd like to have my kids be kids again so they could play, sleep and not worry.

Reality is we all need to take more time to play, regardless of our age. We don't know how much play time is left in life. We need to taste some mulberries, to hold some hands, to let someone hold ours. Today when I hold Mom's hand, I'll linger just a little longer, and savor it just a little more. And I will be grateful for the role reversal that made this possible.

No comments: