Thursday, June 25, 2009

Security

Security means many things to many people. We have security blankets, security checks, insecurity, as well as social security (isn't that a misnomer?) Today I went through airport security. Let me be the first to say I did not have 3 oz bottles and plastic bags for some of my items.

Said items, however, went through two security check points last week with less than 3 oz. of investigation. Today - well, today was another story. Yes, I got busted for having a large can of hairspray (that was totally a blonde moment), part of a tube of hair paste, and a couple mini bottles of lotion. I'll concede the hair spray deserved to be pulled. The hair paste? Excuse me! Hair paste is not a liquid or an aerosol. And the little bottles of lotion? They are the very ones you get for free in hotel rooms! The lotions weren't guilty of anything other than traveling without protection. How a zip lock bag renders them safe is beyond me. Good to know the world, or at least the Omaha airport, is safe from random acts of hair paste and skin lotion.

I did have the option of going out and checking my suitcase through to keep from relinquishing the contraband items. Somehow, the cost of checking my bag both going and coming wasn't the equivalent of buying new product. Nice offer, but I don't think so.

At least I had the good sense not to lobby for lotion and paste amnesty. I did mention these same products went through this same security checkpoint last week. But, I didn't push my luck. I am guilty as charged.

I hope the flat hair police don't stop me for a genuine lack of texture and lift. If they so, so be it. It's the price one has to pay for being secure.

No comments: