Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Therapy

For years now the dogs and I have done pet therapy. First with Abby - the labby, then Kobe, and now Mr. Mick. It have always enjoyed it as a way to give. To give of myself, my love of dogs and to spread some smiles around to those in need. I've always considered it purely an act of giving.

Until now, that is. Now that I've been visiting the hospital to see my Mom for 8+ weeks I've discovered something much different. As busy as my schedule is, I miss going. It is therapy for me, as well as therapy for those we minister to. I would have bet it was just a giving thing - and there is nothing wrong with that.

So I went today, even though there were other things I could and should have been doing. I went because I get something from it, something very important. Not only do I get a different perspective on my struggles, I get to fill my loving cup so to speak.

I am happily surprised by this revelation. Mick gives, in his adorable canine way. And I receive because of it. I give of our time and those we visit receive because of it. The balance of giving and receiving is more equal than I'd imagined. That is therapeutic in itself.

No comments: