Monday, July 5, 2010

Confirmation

Sometimes we just need confirmation. Sometimes it's called feedback. Other times it is affirmation. We all long for it, need it to thrive, give it out, and on the good days get it back.

I'd like to confirm at Sophie is learning that the Scary Man is not totally Scary. He is getting positive feedback from her. Of course it's taken a million treats to affirm this. But, some people take baby steps, we give out baby treats.

Hank of course affirms my every move. I was in the bathroom today, with him sitting beside me. He was looking at me with such adoration. I am his bliss. He would have gotten the toilet paper for me, spun it in gold and offered it on a silver platter if he could have. That's what his eyes told me. Instead he was content just to be with me.

Mickey is more independent. Of course that depends on what's going on. Today he brought me the remains of a large piece of fireworks. He was delighted to have it, pranced in the house with it and was just as thrilled to drop it on command. It's all good in Mick's world.

I'm wondering if dogs just don't second guess themselves like people do. Well, except for Sophie, she second guesses everything. How sad that she does, and how wonderful she's learning it doesn't have to be this way. Would that we could all learn this lesson.

No comments: