Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lightly

"She wore her last week of life lightly."

Dang, I wish I had written that. How profound, how wonderful, how awesome to live like that.

Truth be told I found that line in middle of an obituary. In the newspaper, I read three sections consistently, the comics, the obit's and the celebration announcements. Funny how all three of those sections are generally written with brevity. Except for the comics, they are written in all seriousness, with little personal detail. The facts, just the fact, Ma'am. I'm thinking that dogs live lightly. But I have to wonder if you and I do. Perhaps this is our challenge.

What if birth announcements, wedding announcements and obits were all written lightly. Allowing plenty of room for light thoughts and comments. I love seeing wedding announcements that go beyond the list of players and date of the event. I like reading how they met and how he proposed. I dig tidbits of real life in 75th birthday announcements. And I love learning something about the real-ness of the person who passed on.

I never met the person who wore her last week of life lightly. But I want to be just like her. I just bet she had dogs. If nothing else pets help us live lightly.

Thanks to an friend I never met, I plan to wear lightly each and every day of my life....I hope you will to.

No comments: