Monday, July 19, 2010

Old Leashes

We got our first dog in 1998, and little yellow lab puppy we named Abigail Adams IX. We accumulated the standard supplies kongs, bones, crate, crate pad (aka a giant chewing toy), collar, 6' leash and a flexi-lead.

Dogs have come and gone, the box of collars and leashes has grown, but still we're using the flexi-lead. It's been gnawed on some. But it's like a Timex watch, it takes a lickin but keeps on tickin.

It still extends smoothly. It is the retraction that isn't working so well. Old age is like that too I'm finding. Now with the leash you need to hit it on your palm or against your side for the rewind function to work. I imagine, as I walk the yard with Sophie, I look like someone playing a tambourine. Hit against the palm, or hit against the hip. Shake it baby, shake it. Frankly, I've always wanted to play in a band, or be a back up dancer. Tambourine would be right up my alley. So I think about that as I'm walking Ms. Sophie. Sure, I could get a new flexi-lead. But how much fun would that be?

Besides I walk all the dogs from my past and present when I use that leash. I spend time with Abby, Fancy, Kobe, Pete, Sidney, Bo, Jackson, Mickey, Sidney, Maddie, Hank and Sophie.

That leash holds some very special memories. And, a little hit on the palm or hip, is no big deal. If I look like I'm playing percussion with a dog, so be it. They are music to my heart.

No comments: