Friday, July 2, 2010

July?? Where Did June Go?

Growing up, the 4th of July was the middle of the summer. Now I think we go right from Memorial Day to July 4th without pausing for a breath. Once the 4th is over the summer is gone. Okay - so a slight exaggeration. But some truth just the same.

Kind of like just yesterday my kids were babies. Or just last week Hank came into our lives, or last month Sophie became our foster. Not to long ago Mick was just 9 months old. You get my drift. Truth is Hank has been with us for 14 months, Sophie for 6 months, and I don't want to count how old Mickey is getting to be.

Sophie is making progress although it's certainly more of a marathon than a sprint. And, I must confess we've been lax in getting her fence trained. This weekend, I tell you, this weekend I'm getting the flags out. Feel free to nag me on this. She has to be tired of going out on leash, and I know we are probably tired of taking her. It's just such a habit that one doesn't realize the effort involved. Labors of love are like that.

After the noise of the July 4th weekend it's fence training time. Guess you could say I'm drawing a line in the sand on that. Except that we don't have sand, and despite 9 inches of rain last month it so dry you have to water again. But I digress....someone please hold me accountable.

We get so caught up in the day-to-day, we miss seeing the pages fly on the calendar. Before you know it it's July - and it's time Sophie learns a little about independence.....

No comments: