Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Dog is Catholic

Several weeks ago I was asked, during a pet therapy visit, if Hank was Methodist. I said no, with complete certainty.

Today, I discovered that Mickey is Catholic. I should have seen this coming. Sometimes I am a slow learner. I've been alternating doing the visits between Hank and Mick. Mick is 8 now, I think he's slowing down some on his enthusiasm for the visits. Hank is younger, but with his health issues he may only be able to do this for a while. He is such a people pointer I wanted to give him a chance to shine, and people a chance to experience some Mr. Hanky love.

Trouble is Mick knows which day of the week is Tuesday. He knows what time the visit is. It was when I put the bandanna on Hank today that I realized Mickey was Catholic. Wham!!! It hit me. Bammm!!! Mick give me a look that sent me in a downward spiral of guilt. Only a Catholic dog could do this. What else could it be? I know this guilt, as I was raised Catholic. I still eat fish on Friday's during Lent, otherwise the guilt kills me.

I must surmise he is Catholic, or was raised Catholic, but since he's a rescue I may never know. Catholic nun's and Mothers everywhere would applaud the look he gave me today. It was a doozy. I apologized profusely then and when we returned. I'm not sure he bought it. Maybe I'll try three Our Father's and a couple Hail Mary's for good measure.

No comments: