Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thanks Mickey

On the days I get to sleep in Reno always closes the door to keep the dogs out of the bedroom. After he feeds them Mickey always barges in anyway. Either he has thumbs I am not aware of, or he just pushes until the door is forced open. Today was one of those days. I can't complain. He jumped up and snuggled in, we had a wonderful cuddle. Life is good with a dog curled up beside you.

All the pointers who have graced my life have Mickey to thank. He was my first, he is the one who opened the door. He is the one who brought that pointer passion into my life.

Without Mick, there would not have been Kobe, Jackson, Buddy, Bo, Pete, Sidney, Hank or Sophie in my life. Mick set the bar. Of course, the bar was sometimes ridiculously low, and other times incredibly high. It was a bar full of humor and patience. It was a bar that includes blankets with some holes chewed in them. And a nice wool blazer with holes in the pockets. He does have a thing for Kleenex left in pockets. I'd have to say that is Mick's one vice. I think we are all allowed to have at least once vice. Most of us have several.

Who would have thought a liver and white boy dumped by a farmer who couldn't find a home for him could bring such joy? I had no idea when I said yes to Mick, how much I was opening my heart too. But, I'm ever so grateful I did.