Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Name Tags

All my dogs wear name tags. Which is funny, because my dogs can't read. Still it's good they have a tag that tells people who to call should they ever go AWOL.

The funny part is we recycle name tags. I figure what is most important is that my information is current, not so much that the dog name is current. So Hank wears Pete's name tag. And Pete's lucky collar. Sophie wears Abby's name tag. Mick luckily has his own tag. Should someone find them, and call them by those other names, I have no doubt my dogs will act like they've never heard that name before. I don't expect them too.

We all have tags we wear, and sometimes they don't reflect who we really are. Sometimes we understand our tags, sometimes we are clueless. If Sophie knew Abby, she'd be darned honored to wear her tag. If Hank knew Pete, he'd be busting his buttons with pride.

Bottom line the tags tie them to me. I hope and pray we never need those tags, but they are there just in case. The other tag my dogs wear says "I saved a human". Everyday they save me from taking life too seriously. They save me from boredom, from having vast amounts of expendable income, from being cold and/or lonely. They save me from ever sleeping in too, we need to have a talk about that.

They tag my heart with love, and I hope I tag them half as well. Their tag could just as easily say "I am well loved". Can we hope for anything more than that?

1 comment:

nerfkid said...

I know Pete is Happy to have Hank wearing the Lucky collar!