Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lucky Dog, Lucky Patients, Lucky Me


I've been doing pet therapy visits with my dogs from many years now. First Abby, then Kobe, then Mick and sometimes Mr. Hanky. We've been regulars at the hospital on Tuesday afternoons. Next week will likely be our last visit at that facility.

It is probably the most selfless house of my week. Selfless, touching, amusing, heartbreaking, heartwarming and humorous. I've been asked a zillion things about my dogs and have pretty much taken it all in stride. Is that a Dalmatian? Oh, is that coon hound? Is that a greyhound? Is that a springer? Is that German shorthair? Is that great dane? Is that a dalmatian (we get this one a lot).

It tickles me pink when someone pops up with "now that's an English Pointer". I pretty much want to hug those people immediately! Today I had a patient give Mick the ultimate compliment. Yup, this guy rubbed him all over, said he wasn't a fatty, and that he had the teeth of a 6 yr old. Yes!!! Made my day!! I was happy the teeth passed muster. But truthfully, what a lovely compliment. Of course then the guy asked how much I wanted for him. I told him he couldn't afford him. He said, no really, how much would I sell him for. I told him I wouldn't sell him for love or all the money in the world. I think he was kidding, but I wasn't taken any chances.

Hell no I wouldn't sell a dog in top condition and with lovely teeth. One of us has to look this way, it might just as well be Mickey.

No comments: