Friday, November 18, 2011

Reflections

The seasons are changing. Frost, cold winds, some snow. Dark. Very dark. We walk in the morning and in the evening and we see lots of dark. Dark and cold. Dark and windy. Dark with a glimpse of light on the horizon. Dark, and more dark. So glad the dogs are mostly white!!

The dogs don't care if it's dark or light for our walkies. I am the one who feels vulnerable in the dark. Reno asked me one day if I was practicing for being homeless as I layered several coats on for my walk. Very funny. It was that time of the season where it was too cold for my light jacket, and still not cold enough for my winter coat. Fashion is not a necessity when walking in the dark.

My one concession for walking in the dark is to put reflective collars on the dogs. I'm amused at how I never bought reflective collars, but over the years I acquired them. I know Mr. Hanky came into rescue with one, not sure where the other came from. I love how when I needed them I already had them. If that isn't cause for reflection I don't know what is. More often in life we have what we need, we just don't realize it.

It's comforting to me on the walks to have that bit of light shine on the dog's collars. Now it's pretty quiet when we walk, so I may be the only one who sees that. Still it feels right. I still need to add something reflective to my apparel, but for now the dogs lead and their light shines.

No comments: