Thursday, February 25, 2010

Potty With Ms. Sophie

Potty forays are interesting with Ms. Sophie.  She has a routine of sorts, and frankly, she doesn't exactly stop to smell the roses.  This time of year it's not a bad thing.  Sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with her as she zips out and then zips in.

She has her "area" which is anywhere between the raise garden bed and the patio.  She likes the patio, but that makes me wonder if perhaps she's never pooped on grass before. Not that she can experience grass this time of year of course.  We know it's there somewhere, but we've had snow on the ground since December 3rd, and it's not going anywhere soon. 

She still gets spooked if something disturbs her potty preparations.  Potty is a one shot deal with Sophie.  There is no circling around and resettling for action once disturbed.  If something spooks her, and most everything does, she heads for the door.  If she could talk I'm sure she'd say, "hang on Mom, I'm making a run for it".

I did comment to Reno that she has more fears than I do.  His response was that I have more issues than than the Encyclopedia Britannica.  I'll take that as a compliment.  But, face it, all of us have fears and issues.  We all have to trust enough to relieve ourselves, be it physically, mentally or emotionally.  All of us get spooked sometimes.  Sometimes we bark to frighten off whats scaring us, sometimes we shut down, sometimes we book it for the door like Sophie does.

I do wonder, whenever I look at this little peanut of a pointer, what life was like for Sophie.  And then, I give thanks that whatever it was, it's not like that now.  We'll work on our issues together and we'll both be braver for it.  Eventually, she'll potty and then stop the sniff the wind, nose the ground for yummy scents,  just plain frolic, or lay in the sun and just be.  That may be a long way off, but were closer today than yesterday.

No comments: