Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tastin Bacon

Sophies new residence of choice is underneath my computer desk.  It's like a crate, but without doors, it's heated, which her crate is not.  And, it's at the Mommy's feet.  Plus she can keep one wary eye on the Foster Dad because one never knows what he might do next.

I offered her a nibble of bacon this morning.  Mick was watching quite intently.  Well, perhaps saying he was about to come out of his skin was more like it.  She lipped it like she was going to take it gently from my hand.  Then she lipped it again just enough to roll it off my fingers to the floor.  From there she picked it up and mouthed it.  She set it back on the ground as if she wasn't really sure that a) it was really for her, or, b) wasn't sure it was completely edible.  Again she picked it up and mouthed it, maybe just savoring the saltiness of it.  Again, she set it down.

Mick was still watching the process. Although I'm certain one could visibly measure his level of angst over it.   If he could talk no doubt he was saying "holy freakin Batman Sophie eat that piece of bacon before I have a heart attack!!"  Or, "I'm counting to three dangit, then I'm going in for it."  "One does not treat bacon like that, it is a gift from the heavens, quit testing it and snarf it down, here let me show you."   However, he stood still and didn't act like a bacon heathen.

Finally she picked it up into her mouth and began to chew on it.  I think she was following the recommended number to chews (23 I think) before swallowing.    Mick was still hoping it would be surrendered to him so he could show her how swiftly things like bacon can be consumed.

But it was not Mick's day for tastin' bacon.  It was Sophie's day and she did good. 

For all the times we wolf down our food, or gloss over our graces, she gave us a valuable lesson.  Savor the delicious morsels that come in all shapes and sizes.

Smart girl Sophie.

No comments: