Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Garden Gate

I've had a garden all my life. Sometimes it thrived, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it feared for it's life because a certain weed whacker didn't give a rats patoot what was weeds and what was supposed to be there.

A lot of my garden is outside the invisible fence. Which keeps the dogs out of the garden, but the rabbits still have a hey day! They know how far the dogs can go. Rabbits are tricky little critters with the tendency to propagate.

Last year we had a fenced vegetable bed to keep Hank from eating the heirloom tomato's. The fence kept Hank out, but not Mick. Mick either went under or over fence as his mood moved him. Plus, I had to go over to get in. Mick is considerably more agile than I am.

This year Reno expanded the garden. After seeing how big 'maters grow in NE, he realized our bed wasn't big enough. Much like when he moved here and realized a queen sized bed just wouldn't cut it given the canine population around here. Which sometimes fluctuates like the rabbits do.

Now we have two tiers to the bed (vegetable that is), it's fenced and a gate is being installed. I have more than enough room for the plants we have, in fact, I can add more. To most people it just a garden with a fence. For me it's a labor of love and I'm quite honored.

Sometimes fencing keeps things out. But other times, fencing holds a whole bunch of love in. Plus, I can open the gate and step inside to feel the love.

No comments: