Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Their Loss, My Gain

We have three pointers in residence. Mick was part of a litter a farmer couldn't find a home for. Hank was picked up as a stray, possibly because he has cancer. Sophie was also a stray, with a terrible fear of men. Perhaps Hank and Sophie washed out as hunters. They became throw away dogs, but thankfully they fell into my net.

Thankfully, Hank is thriving in our care, despite his prognosis. For an "unadoptable" dog you couldn't ask for more. Today I took him on a pet therapy visit. As the site leader for this visit, I took him as part of his screening process. I knew his strong suits - he's a people lover, big time. And, I know his weakness, he gets a little grumbly around strange dogs. So we went on a day when only one other dog was there. We introduced them outside, let them get some smells in, corrected the little grumblings and kept them at a safe distance. When I think of all the new experiences thrown at Hank in one day it's impressive. First parking garage, elevator, hospital equipment, lots of people touching him, strange smells, funny sounds. I'm proud to say his tail wagged the whole time. In fact, his name could have been Mr. Hanky Wiggle Butt.

Lest my praise of Mr. HankyWB go to my head, I need to mention Ms. Sophie. If someone dumped her because she doesn't hunt, I have news for them. She gave the most stunning point this afternoon. Followed by a stealthy stalk, point, stalk, point, stalk... It was breathtaking. I strained to see what she was pointing at. I searched and found no prey. But I watched in awe knowing her instincts and vision were superior to mine. At last, she came nose to nose with her prey. I can safely say it was not what I expected. She was pointing at..... Are you sitting down? She was pointing at flies on a pile of her poo.

So there you have it. The sheer ridiculous and the sublime. The talent of two throw-away dogs. One who needs healing and gave to others who are healing. And one who is hunting for her forever home. They make me both proud.

No comments: