Monday, January 17, 2011

This Will Hurt Me More Than You


Remember when our parents said this to us? It usually applied to punishments, or consequences. It meant someone screwed up, and someone had to be the bad guy. I always hated being the bad guy as a parent. But, someone had to wear that hat like it or not.

I saw the canine version of "this hurts me more than you" happen the other day between Sophie and Queenie. They were playing and I saw Queenie-Meanie grab Sophie's back leg and give it a good bite. Not that there really is such a thing as a "good" bite so to speak. Anyway, little puppy teeth got too rough. Sophie turned on her and took her to school. In fact, I think she took her all the way to the office to see the Principal. Sophie corrected her and Queenie let out a yelp and beat a hasty retreat. No one really likes the principal's office anyway.

When Queenie went running Sophie followed like a nervous Mother. She checked her and checked her to make sure she was okay. I am certain she whispered "that hurt me more than you pup, but control those teeth for Dog's sakes." Or, perhaps a little bit of Mother guilt snuck in and Sophie wanted to make sure Queenie still liked her. Either way there was an obvious expression of concern that was touching to see. Parenting is tough work, even in the canine world.

No comments: