Saturday, September 26, 2009

Good Dogs - Great People

I believe dog people are some of the best in the world. Perhaps I am biased because I am totally a dog person. If so, I can deal with that.

Next weekend is one of our local blessings of the animals. Years ago I took Kobe when he first came into my foster care. He was homely, just a rack of hips and ribs. I met a woman there who came over to inquire about him. She raises Chinese crested dogs, and bears out the theory people do resemble their dogs. But that is another whole blog.

She was taken by this sweet boy. Over the years I cross paths with her at dog events here and there. We always talk about Kobe when we meet. I'm sure she doesn't know my first name, just like I don't know hers. That really matters not.

She frequents the store I work at, so I'm always delighted when I see her. Today she had a four month old crested pup in her little pouch. She asked me to hold him to work on socialization skills. I was only to glad to help out. Ears, toes, paws, teeth, belly - I touched them all. A person can get very personal in the name of socialization! This little pup's name is Jimmy Choo-Shoes. What a hilarious name. Another litter mate of little Jimmy has even less 'hair' and is named Lucille Bald. Frankly, I think I need to get more creative with the names of my dogs! I could use Kate Spayed, Billy Jowel (an English bulldog, of course) or Smelly Butts. So many possibilities. Or, I could ask her help with naming dogs.

That's part of what makes the rescue family so awesome. Ask and you will receive. Do you have a behavior issue? Or rather does your dog? Ask and we will answer. Are you grieving the loss of a beloved pet, we will lend a shoulder. Could you be pondering adding another dog to the pack? We'd be right there saying do it!! Need a toy recommendation - if its on the market one of us has bought it.

I love the people brought into my life by opening my heart to dogs. They are the best, absolutely, totally, and most amazingly. Now, if only I could get one of them over to scoop poop.

No comments: