Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Good To Know

I can't help but think it's good to know I'm not totally insane. Sure, I'm still a crazy dog lady. Yep, I'll probably always be a bit suspect in my neighborhood because of this. Not a huge deal.

I'm happy to report other self respecting dog lovers have sampled their canine companions medications. If we were at a ten-step program for dog lovers, I wouldn't be the only one standing up and owning this particular behavior.

Yes, I did almost call my vet to ask if the eye ointment was interchangeable. He would have helped me in a heart beat. In his defense, he knows my name, and would where ever he ran into me. He would not need to refer to a chart to know who I am. I'm not just a female, patient number ____, 51 yrs old, 5' 4', on med's for blah, blah and blah, menopausal, prone to being weepy....you get my drift. I did call my primary Dr. to ask about my eye issue. I talked to a nurse. I don't know her name or face. She only knows my name. I did not confess who's ointment I was using.

To my vet I have a name and a face and we have more than medical history. Don't get me wrong, not that kind of history. When you sit on the floor and help a beloved pet over the bridge together, the client/vet relationship takes on a new meaning.

Things like this are good to know. In the company of dogs, cats and other pets we may become a little eccentric. If that's the case I'm all for it. Better to be insanely in love with our pets, than to never be insane at all. I rest my case.

No comments: