Sunday, September 13, 2009

Turkey Tenderloins

We run a pretty tight ship around here with the dogs. Of course the 'ship' allows bed privileges and some furniture privileges. Now that I think of it, only Reno's chair is off limits as is the leather love seat. So it's not like they are roughing it by any means.

So when those times of gross, totally over the top rule breaking happen I'm all over it. In retrospect I usually wish I'd had the camera handy first to photograph the event. Such a moral dilemma. Catch that Kodak moment or give a timely (and well needed!) correction. I go for the correction. Now corrections are tricky things. One must, and I cannot stress this enough, sound like you mean business during the correction. On the other hand, sometimes curbing your amusement while giving the correct is almost impossible to do!

All that said, let me describe the gross, totally over the top misbehavior of my dear Mr. Hanky.
Remember, Pete? He was another foster dog of ours. Pete is famous for his love of Liver Treats OMG Liver Treats. Well, I discovered Hank's Achilles heel. For Hank it's Turkey Tenderloins OMG Turkey Tenderloins!

We grilled some TT's last night and had a late leisurely dinner on the patio. Reno is a master griller and his Weber kettle grill sees a lot of action. You can kinda see where this is going. He left the cover off the grill off last night.

I let dogs out this morning to "water" them before feeding time. All scampered back in except Mr. Hanky. I looked out the back window for him and there he was. Front paws up on the grill, licking the grates of the grill clean of any Turkey Tenderloin bits, pieces or juices. Yes, I realize this is a safety issue on multiple levels. So I went straight for the correction. A clap of the hands and a verbal scolding was all it took. Although I have to wonder if the touch of mirth in my voice may have given me away. It would have been a terrific picture you know?

So naturally I covered the grill. Next I looked out Hank had his paws up on the patio table in case one of us missed a morsel! Not bloody likely, but you can't blame him for trying. Another well timed correction given. Another Kodak moment missed.

Clearly we have discovered a passion of Hank's. Sometimes even dogs know temptation overrules the rules! I'm sure Pete would be proud of Hank. He'd be saying "Go for it dude. Live on the edge a little. Life is short, savour those mouth watering tenderloin moments." And you know, Pete would be right.

No comments: