Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Spotting Old Dogs

So many ways I could go with this blog. Let's start with a bit of gratitude. Reno had a huge health scare over the weekend. He got sick while driving home from a fishing trip about 45 miles away. Somehow I knew instinctively it was a serious issue, so my son and I headed out to meet him. Of course, I thought he had stopped driving. Little did I know. But that's another story.

But back to the gratitude part. We came out of this very lucky. I know the big Guy upstairs had a hand in it, as did the boat load of prayers from our friends and family. We don't know what caused it, but in some cases one doesn't need to know.

We "spot" Kobe on the stairs all the time how. Age and arthritis make him unsteady on the stairs. He can go down, he just can't stop at the bottom. Well, he can stop at the bottom but much like a runner sliding into home plate. We try to protect him as best we can. Sliding is not recommended at his age.

Now I find myself spotting Kobe and Reno on the stairs. I wouldn't have it any other way. I know Kobe is snickering at Reno. Kobe is saying "he-he-he you old fart...how's it feel? He-he-he that will teach you to be so smug". And Kobe's favorite, "ha-ha-ha Mom loved me first!"

There is no one I'd rather spot than this spotted pointer, and my Reno. I am grateful for both. I delight in the goodness in their hearts, and for the opportunity to spot them along the bumpy parts in life.

Some things we need to know, some things we just trust our way through. Sometimes there is sliding, sometimes gentle hands reach out to spot us. Always there is love.

No comments: