Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mommy Growls


I have to say that Sophie is the first dog we've ever fostered that did not adjust to day light savings time. When we fell back an hour in the Fall, she did too. I can't tell you how excited I am to know that in a couple weeks we Spring forward. Hopefully I'll at least think I'm getting to sleep an extra hour. 5am is for the birds, and of course, a silly pointer named Sophie.

As I tried to steal a wee bit more sleep this morning, I noticed something. I had raced back to bed, followed in suit by Hank and Mick. Every one did the equivalent of circling three times and settling. Then in came Sophie. I will say her launch on to the bed is as light as a butterfly. But then she has no qualms about barging right in. Mick will usually rumble a little and make his way to the spare bedroom. Hank will grumble louder and hold his ground. They discovered today that Mommy has the loudest growl of all when she says "go lay down"!!

I growled, and they responded. Even Sophie parked her butt and laid down. It was impressive. Of course, it only lasted about 5 minutes...but hey, it is a start. This is a girl who only used to know hide in the crate, hide under the desk, watch out for Scary Man. Now she sleeps in the sun and doesn't care if anyone is looking. She lays on the bed with the one who growls loudest. And, seriously, I'd celebrate this achievement if I could just have another hour of sleep.

No comments: