Sunday, December 18, 2011

Now or Later


I wish I could teach the dogs two concepts. The first would be the concept of days off and weekends. Hellooooo.....On the seventh day God rested, I'd like to as well. Is an extra hour too much to ask for. Granted, I haven't created the universe or anything grand like that, but still...

The other concept I'd like to teach is that of "later". We will go for a walk "later". Not now, not at 6am, because this is the weekend, but later. I promise. Later when it's light out, when it's warmer, when the bed is not calling my name. Later will be a longer walk and I'll enjoy it more because I'll be, well, conscious.

Sometimes I'm not sure who trains who. We started the am/pm walk ritual when we downsized to a postage stamp sized yard. It's good for them, and it's good for us. I would just dig a little flexibility on the time table. They say now, I say later. Except they say now with pleading brown eyes. Okay, and I later in what comes off as a bit of a whine.

It goes something like this. Let's walk Now? Now? NOW? blink, blink, wag, wag, wag, happy dance wag. Later, please, later, can we later...oh please, please, please l-a-t-e-r.

It's not a pretty negotiation. But you can guess the end result.

No comments: