Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Settling In

Snowflake flew across several states to NE, leaving behind the only home she's ever known. You'll be happy to know she's settling in just fine. I moved two hours from the only home I'd ever known and I didn't settle in as easily as she did. They are so much better at embracing change than we are.

She is learning quickly - what to do, what not to do. Mostly what not to do. Case in point. Counters, are a no-no. Books are a no-no. The kitchen table - also a big no-no. She also found the soft spots to lay on. In fact, she was born to sleep on a leather sofa. Born, I tell you.

Funny how dogs, and people tend to sit in the same place on a regular basis. Almost like "assigned" seating at the table. I sit here, you sit there. Repeat day in and day out. She has staked her place at the left end of the couch. No matter that Hank owns that piece of real estate. Coming through, make way. Don't mind me, I'll just squeeze in here. You won't even notice me.

Hank to his credit bears that graciously. Okay, sometimes with a grumble or two, but then he concedes to the little lady. Come to think of it, I often grumble before I concede. Hopefully I am as gracious as Hank.

It's all about embracing life and snuggling in. I need to do a little bit more of that myself.

No comments: