Sunday, December 4, 2011

Places In Life

We all come from different places in life. Heck, I find myself living in one. When I started blogging, many years ago, it was because I figured I might be experiencing something similar to others and that by voicing my thoughts someone else might benefit. Or at least laugh, or on a good day find some wisdom, healing or hope.

Usually the dogs are my conduit. Without them I would not be me. Dog-wise, things are very calm in my life. We are not fostering, although I'm beginning to plant the seeds that it is time again. Since our move, I haven't done any pet therapy visits. Although I'm hoping to get going with that again soon. Hank and Mick are good, healthy, happy. All good things.

I need to own how difficult it is for me to live in a new place. How isolated it has felt, and yet, how right it is to share daily life with Reno. It is a mixed blessing. We have jobs - amen. We have a roof over our head - amen. We have time with each other - amen, amen, amen.

And, sometimes, we have me in tears. I believe it's normal. Although having never done this before I couldn't say for sure. Of course, being a weepy person by nature, we kinda knew this was coming. I feel for all our service men and women in foreign countries, or simply in towns that are far away from home. I empathize with those searching for the feeling of home in places that just don't feel like it.

I know we are all in different places in life. Some are easy, some are not, some suck, some cause us to celebrate. This place, with the dogs, with Reno is where the road has taken us. It's not easy, but it is right. I'll be better off because of it. Certainly this place needed another crazy dog lady, and that would be me.

2 comments:

Maggi said...

Believe me, Nancy, take it from someone who moved fresh out of high school to the east coast to work for the government for three years, then back to the midwest for a year where I married, and another move to the west coast for 10 years - knowing no one at either coast mind you, and then back to the midwest after 10 years on the west coast, these moves can be traumatic yet you will survive and look back on it as another milestone in your life - and yes, laugh at the tears ... I so enjoy your blogging and am glad you take the time to write your thoughts and "adventures" ... it is something I look forward to daily. Keep up the good work and good thoughts.

N. Bachmann said...

Maggie thanks for sharing your experiences. I think all this upheaval would have been easier when I was young. Why didn't I think of it then?

I always love the feedback. And hope I don't sound like I'm writing the same things over and over! Your pleasure and encouragement mean a lot! Thank you.