Monday, July 6, 2009

Choices

There are times in life where there are several options on the table, and all of them suck. There is no lesser of two evils. And yet, we have to choose.

There are times in life where there are several options on the table and all of them are awesome. We can't have them all, we have to choose.

There are times in life we wish someone else could carry the burden, but we know we are the someone else. If we are lucky, we share the burden. It still hurts, but the pain is divided. Truthfully I'm referring to end of life issues. Frankly, our beloved pets are lucky we can euthanize them when there is no option for healing and quality of life is lost. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert in ethics. I know it's complicated and hard to decipher.

As I wrote when Abby the Labby died, her need for comfort was far greater than my need for her companionship. It was not a choice I made lightly, and will always be a choice I wish I hadn't had to make. The only saving grace was that choice gave her comfort.

So it must be with all the other life affirming and life releasing choices we make. They must meet the needs of the person/animal in need, and we have to trust we are being led to, and through the process of choosing.

It will never be easy, but it will be necessary.

No comments: