Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Self Esteem - woman style

Woman have the tendency to compare things. With a sweeping glance we analyze another woman's hair, make up, clothes, height, weight, diamonds, shoes, purse and/or car. This response is as natural as breathing to us. We do this almost unconsciously, and yet, we often find ourselves coming up short in some way, shape or form.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not tall enough for my weight. Not blonde enough, except for in my brain. Not trim enough as I should be. However, and this is a gargantuan however - I am beautiful in God's eyes, Reno's, my kids, friends and the dogs eyes too. I sometimes make a point of reminding me - that many women would be thrilled to have my body!

Just today, I was on the elevator with two other women. I did the whole scan and analyze thingy and guess what I discovered. Of the three of us, I was the skinny bitch! Maybe that wasn't saying much, perhaps it was saying volumes! Whoohoo! It was a great feeling! Not that I was condoning bitchiness, Au contraire. But, now raise your hands women, who of us hasn't judged someone as a bitch because we were jealous of their skinny? I'm right there with you, hand in air.

We need to embrace ourselves more, and judge other less. We need to celebrate the marvelous physical form that holds our heart and soul. We are more than we know, hope or dream. We are women. Even though we analyze, scrutinize, and evaluate every woman we pass, let's be gentle with our self. In fact, lets celebrate what we have and who we are.