Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lips

I have a new appreciation for lips and how they work.

For years we have teased Kobe, the Prince of Pointers about his funky bottom lip. You see, he'd had some kind of kicking injury with took out his bottom teeth, leaving him with a droopy lip. It is not pretty, and he is a bit of a messy drinker. Both my daughter and Reno squirm at the thought of Kobe's lip touching them. I use that as a threat, if they are not nice, that Kobe and I will come by dark of night and touch them with "the lip".

Lips do serve an important purpose and rarely get the recognition they are due. If you have never given thanks for and saluted your lips - do so today!!!

I know this because I had a close encounter with the pavement yesterday. My lip and nose took a beating. First let me say, no drinking was involved. Even though I have probably 15 years of dance background, curbs can be tricky things. The only good thing about falling is that is happens so freakin fast!

Today I have new understanding of Kobe's life challenges and for lips in general. I'm aware that many women use Botox for full pouty lips. I have that look today, but the road rash and forming scabs ruin the affect. My brother went so far as to suggest I left work early today because I was frightening the customers. I left because I was exhausted and achy. The sofa and the ice bag were calling my name!

In time the swelling will recede and the scabs will go away. I will think of lips differently though. With appreciation for their function and form. For Kobe and his lip - I have nothing but love, now more than ever.

No comments: