Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jewelry Party

I had a jewelry party with my Mom last evening. Actually, it was a walk down memory lane. Clearly I must have gotten my love for jewelry from her. Although, I wonder someday when my daughter goes through my years old stash of jewelry if she will discount most of it as hideous too.

I went to Mom's house yesterday and sorted through much of her jewelry. I took the valuable pieces and those with sentimental value up to the hospital last night. I layed them out on her tray and inventoried them with her. It was a bittersweet journey down memory lane. The old pieces came from other relatives. Many from my Aunt Helen, who wasn't really an Aunt. She was my Mom's 10th cousin. Some of the pieces were Helen's mother's.

I clearly remember being given my paternal Grandmother's wedding ring. I was 18 at the time. I was too young to have an appreciation for either the style or the emotional tie it presented. I do now.

We had a jewelry party to remember. We shared time and history. That was a gift in itself. Hopefully the choices we made about her jewelry will continue to provide a link between the past, present and the future women in our family. And maybe the story of two women, in the hospital, pouring over a tray of jewelry will add to that value.

No comments: