Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dog Time In Dallas

I have been dogless for five days now.  A part of me was starting to shrivel up inside.  I was ready for some canine renewal.  Blissfully it came today.

For starters I made the acquaintance of another Pointer Rescue volunteer.  Len picked me up at the hotel with a dog in tow.  Ahhh, the joy of it!  This particular dog is a coon hound mix named Leon who was being transported to a new foster home.  Talk about a laid back passenger.  Leon was mellow with a capital "M", soft and sweet as a marshmallow with floppy ears and big paws.

May I just say ya gotta love people who will give up their day off to help an animal in need.  Len was doing me an enormous favor too by sharing her time with me.  I'm relieved to know she drives the same way I do.  Get in car, have random directions, a definite destination and drive.  If a dog is a passenger, all the better.  Two dogs, no problem, three dogs it's all good. 

After dropping off Leon, we visited a dog currently in foster care.  Sam is an extremely handsome boy. He's the George Clooney of pointers.  And he's looking for a new home.  The pointer, not George, by the way.  Sam is very shy, but is making lots of progress.  In addition to Sam, I met three other dogs too.  Definitely my kind of home.

Suffice it to say there was lots of dog talk, dog stories, dog food discussions, dog experiences, dog fur, foster dogs, and mention of dog bones.  It was a little bit of heaven for me. Dog people are just the best.  Because of dogs I made new friends today.  Some of the two footed, and some of the four-footed variety.  I came away a better (happier!!) person because of it. 

No comments: