Friday, September 10, 2010

Three Noses at The Door

It has been nearly 11 months since Kobe and Maddie crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I can't count the times we look at Hank and see a younger, less war torn version of Kobe. And, we often speak of our "little girl" Maddie with both joy and sadness. Since Sophie joined us, last January, it's been a different experience. I'm glad to say once again we have three happy noses at the door.

In fact, Sophie being so tiny does have a certain advantage. She can squirt between, or under Mick and Hank thus beating them to the door. Who is at the door first is not the same as who goes out the door first. Sophie may push her way to the front, but Hank beats her out of the gate every single time. Mick waits until the heathens have discharged like rockets out the door before he follows on their heels. Either he is much smarter and way more dignified than they are, or he's not competitive in the front door bolt-a-thon.

And yet, when hunting the yard Mick is the leader and they are the followers. Recently, Mick was ferociously hunting a tree frog who'd been frequenting the outdoor water bowl. While in the bowl, the frog had complete immunity. Once in the garden it was game on. Let me tell you, the WWF would have been impressed with Micks moves and tenacity. Hank follows behind as if to say "I've got your back Mick, I've got your back". "Hey Mom, what am I supposed to be doing with Mick anyway????" Sophie clearly is not hunting savvy yet, but she is learning from one master and a minor.

Of the three, Hank excels in being a sponge for human affection. On my lap is not close enough for Hank. Nor is it big enough for Hank. In the same vicinity of me works for Mick, and Sophie flits in and out like a butterfly. So different, and so alike.

However you look at it, there are three dogs at the door again. It pleases me to no end and I trust our dogs who've crossed the bridge approve with all their heart.

No comments: