Sunday, February 13, 2011

Feigning Sleep

I went back to bed hoping for another hour of sleep. I also knew if I got 30 minutes I'd be lucky. The rational me knew if I got 15 minutes that the stars had aligned. The "you must be kidding yourself" me feigned sleep.

I think there were three me's at the particular moment. One assumed the posture of sleep. One was tuned in to the movements of Sophie hoping and praying she would settle. The other was keyed into Hank. He settled, but would Sophie's activity set a chain re-Hank-tion? I listened. Ears trying to decipher who's tags I heard jingling. Who's weight was on the bed and would the peaceful moment multiply?

It reminded me of those early motherhood moments. Did you hear the baby? Will the baby settle back to sleep? Am I the only one who can hear the baby? Well, duh!

As if you couldn't guess I didn't get that extra hour of sleep. One can expend a lot of energy pretending to sleep. It's exhausting I tell you. Apparently dogs just can't sleep on an empty stomach. Come to think of it, I don't function well on one either.

So I began my day. They are fed and sleeping now. Proof of the hungry dogs can't sleep theory. Maybe now I can grab those extra zzzzzzz's. Maybe not. I can feign awake later if I have to.

No comments: